Saturday, September 27, 2008

NEWSPaper with No-Paper

...took off really great in the form of e-NEWS from various sources but the question is how far will it go. Personal preference I use internet to catch a glimpse of the day when it comes to news or I use it to browse, as browsing gets a pain with a physical resource at hand. I use internet to read the abstract but when it comes to a complete content I prefer library/bookstore over the web.

 Amazon introduced 'Kindle' a electronic reading device but 1 year being in production its still not popular yet. I dont know the reason for it being on back order at the store but to be true I really dont know a single person who is a buyer of it.

Kindle could be I should rather say is a great product, a blissful feeling from no IM pings or e-mail notifications or virus alerts, irritating popups advertisements, etc etc. but how far will it go ?

 A birds eye view; Kindle (Amazon) offers ~24 newspaper on Kindle at a monthly subscription of ~$5 - ~$14 and the issue arrives wirelessly and synced to you device. This means no more walk to the drive way with coffee in hand in adverse weather condition, no worries about recycling the newspaper every month, and having a feeling of going green. Now the problem is Kindle doesn’t offer colors on the reads no advs and browsing might get cumbersome at times. The reason being mobile device is comfortable as far as you read linearly but is a pain as soon as you have to scroll left or right. (Tip: for notepad turn on the word wrap). 

Kindle somehow couldn’t pick that swing, I am sure most of my readers might not even be aware of it as they were of the i-Phone before its release. Its again some advertising stunts that it lacked. Do you plan to buy a Fiat? Do you knw Fiat owns Ferrari, does this change your opinion? Second reason I can think of, is its price and being monochrome till date.

I am still skeptical about Kindle catching the market. Reason my pocket currently has a PDA, cigarette pack, light, wallet, carabiner for keys, Zune and a bag at hands with a laptop, charger, some disks, notebook and am I ready to carry Kindle when I can grab a glimpse of world on a paper newspaper in cafe or my Newspapers website.

Someone said the other day that e-media and replacement of paper junk is the next big thing and Kindle is a huge step. I question it loudly as my opinion is, its never happening. I think the next big thing is still replacing the moving parts from your electronics to minimize the dissipated heat and reliability and the core tech on the other hand will be more concerned about the performance algorithms concentrating more towards a better seek time of response on any application under use.

btw: its hard to type Kindle, my reflexes made me type Kindly several times

8 comments:

Harshita said...

Me too surf internet for my daily dose of news...but then I still stick to my routine of catching up on paper newspaper daily... :)

Well u r right...I had no clue about Kindle before this...the only thing I knew is my client used a software app by the same name ;)

zirelda said...

I get most of my news from CNN and MSN and thedenverchannel. That's generally more than I want to know.

I've never heard of Kindle. You do find the most interesting things.

Swats said...

I didn’t know about Kindle..so I now feel enlightened n informed…thnx

In fact some of ur technology-driven posts go way above my head, thts one of the prime reasons I feel blogging is an amazing learning experience!

Do u know abt my understanding of the word 'Kindle..chk this..something id written 2 yrs ago..

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/movies/indiancinema/news/article_1223693.php/Kindle_is_a_dark_thriller_Nitin_Shingal

LOL LOL LOL

Swats said...

sorry rong link..chk this

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/movies/indiancinema/news/article_1223693.php/Kindle_is_a_dark_thriller_Nitin_Shingal

Nidhi said...

Mmm. i like turning to newpapers more than reading on net.
guess nepal newspaper called kathmandu post which i suppose in only english newspaper in the country has just one page of business times that too many times the later half page is covered with a solo advertisement. the editorial page is just half page.. mm total pages are 6. lol still chalta hai. cuz net browsing m nt sure i never did it for daily news.. or i log in to tv.. ndtv, aaj tak

Nidhi said...

Mmm. i like turning to newpapers more than reading on net.
guess nepal newspaper called kathmandu post which i suppose in only english newspaper in the country has just one page of business times that too many times the later half page is covered with a solo advertisement. the editorial page is just half page.. mm total pages are 6. lol still chalta hai. cuz net browsing m nt sure i never did it for daily news.. or i log in to tv.. ndtv, aaj tak

Krishnan Kolazhi said...

I think Kindle is pretty cool. Its not doing that bad...Its scientifically designed to be good for long reading. I think it depends on what kind of person you are...If an Ipod can be indispesable then I think a kindle too can be (depends..are u a music person or reader??). Also point to note I think is that Ipod can nver be a reading device...but Kindle can be a mp3 player if it wants to!

Aevi said...

@Krishnan tht is indeed a very good argument n has made me re-think.