Sunday, September 14, 2008

"White Collar... defining Idiot"

I simply love to see how people’s views may float or differ on small things and a naïve discussion can grow into an exponential argument and a volley of views. 
Anyways so the other day someone posts on an e-mail alias that :

'Idiot' is a grossly misused word and an oversimplified epithet, if one goes by the Supreme Court's (India) brand new definition of the term.
...
To be legally accepted as an 'idiot', one has to be so dumb as to be unable to count till 20, list the days of the week, or fail to remember the names of one's parents, the Court said on Friday.
...
"An idiot is one who is of non-sane memory from his birth, by a perpetual infirmity, without lucid intervals: and those are said to be idiots who cannot count 20, or tell the days of the week or who do not know their fathers or mothers or the like," said the judgement by Justices Arijit Pasayat and M K Sharma.” - Source
 
……..and this kindled a pen of many people and the discussion goes as…..

View-1
Interesting,
Is it clear that there is an "OR" between all the three conditions ?
 
I still feel its a flawed definition.
1. If you cant count till 20, you are poor in mathematics and not idiot.
2. If you cannot list the days in a week, you have weak memory and not necessary an idiot.
3. Fail to remember parents name - Again memory, or maybe no parents or maybe parents left in childhood. So what if the person genuinely doesnt know his/her parents name .. not idiot isnt it.
 
" I would say an idiot is someone who can count till 20, but cannot count from 100 to 120 as simple as that. " (said by me - i am not a judge though)
 
The offensiveness of idiot calling is something that needs to be defined. Like if my parents call me idiot, its ok, but if some outsider calls me idiot i will be offended by it, since my parents know me well to call me that :) I mean its really good for "idiot" to have been grossly misused, now an idiot could be someone who doesnt know who an idiot is.

View-2
I think:
 
An idiot is someone who keeps on making same or similar mistakes again and again and doesn’t learn. A common voter is known to fit this definition more often than not :)

View-3
Good, but the problem there is defining "Common Voter".
 
A few more defintions , "idiocracy" is the process of being an idiot. I think the problem is that idocracy is considered relative in our society, so if a bigger idiot calls be idiot i get angry. So to resolve all this we should have a common "non elected" body that scales idiots (possibly  via a sort of Idiotness Aptitude Test)  and there should be a sort of CGPA kind of thing, there. So along with our merit scores we should have idiocracy scores too. That would reduce confusion. After all a good mix of genious and idiotness is necessary for sucess as the idiot in you makes you take risks. :)
 
Now i am feeling stupid and i cant define that.

View-4
Actually, idiocracy is a stupid/funny movie. 

My say:  I love the company of white collar... they have an argument, a logic for everything and love to discuss...but I cant even deny Jimi Hendrix's say either  White collar conservative flashin down the street, pointing that plastic finger at me, they all assume my kind will drop and die, but I'm gonna wave my freak flag high.

4 comments:

Harshita said...

Ahem! what an analysis for a mere 'Idiot' ;)

I mean, does not Supreme Court has something better to do than voicing definitions??...puhleese.

BTW, I liked the post...as always thrz a flavour of ur own to watever u post...

Swats said...

ur post reminds me of BHEJA FRY..lolz..

The Supreme Court shud really ponder over other serious issues plaguing India..

To me an 'Idiot' is someone whose sense of timing is atrocious..who doesn't give a shit abt punctuality..who keeps the other person waiting with little regard for his/her work skedule and as u rightly said- who repeatedly falters!

so if I go by my defn, I never make an idiot of myself :D

Nidhi said...

your post are always unique.. loved it. Ahh,, I like the definition given by you .. who can’t count from 100 – 120. Lol. Smart answer.

zirelda said...

Jimi Hendrix was awesome.

Wouldn't the IQ test qualify to show idiocy?

My understanding of the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

But then I'm splitting hairs.

Enjoyable read.