Sunday, February 01, 2009

... how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong...

….but to feel strong.

That is a quote from Christopher McCandless played by Emiinto_the_wild_movie_posterle Hirsch in “Into The Wild”. Another master piece from Sean Penn as expected. I watched it in ‘07 and this is one of those that left an impact on me. Not that I got some ideas got some inspiration, rather I kind of not agreed to the character and considered him an escapist, yet it left a positive impact on me, and have watched it several times since then. Its a true story with not so happy ending.

Chris is running away from society, not aimlessly but in search of something, something that is left beautifully by Sean Penn on viewers judgment. He hobo’s his way to Alaska abandoning all worldly comfort which life had to offer to him. He is idealistic, headstrong and all his beliefs go around the philosophers as Tolstoy, London, and Thoreau. He was a athlete, a Harvard graduate, had a family great career ahead, rather he picks up to hobo his way to Alaska in the wilds discovering himself while hitchhiking and meeting all kinds of strangers. Penn has done a great job in which the pace of the work is constantly moving yet static as a pendulum swinging between the climax of the journey and the events leading up to it.

Chris wants to live off the land, alone, abandoning all society. But he doesn’t hate people either. As I already mentioned, me being in society, twas hard to agree with him, but contradicting the former I was also drawn to him. I still wonder what he was looking for, but all the way and everytime I watch the flick I want him to find his answers. It may be peace, or freedom, nature,God, life, or may be simply nothing. Whatever it is, it's something bigger than himself, and unfortunately when he decides to go back after 2 yrs of living in an abandoned Bus in the wilderness of Alaska he dies..

I will not go deep into the story…as all colleagues and friends are already tired of catching me with the OST and talking about it for past 2 yrs. Something that I really would like to state here is Eddie Vedder.

Been a die hard fan of his lyrics and voice, he did gain more respect and praise in my books. The sound tracks from the flick Hard Sun and Society, say it all.

5 comments:

Harshita said...

Gotta watch this one for sure. Thanks for sharing this post.

Swats said...

It reminds me of 'The Monk who sold his Ferrari'

U don't easily agree..Do u? :P

U r very difficult to please :P

zirelda said...

Sean Penn rocks.....

maitreyee. said...

no kidding... i was just talking abt watching this movie to chota.. lets catch it sometime over the weekend?... what say?

Sneha said...

Your post makes me curios about the movie.:)